10 Dangerous Things for a Dog to Eat
In the previous section, we examined how you can control your dog’s weight through regular weigh-ins. In this section we will list some substances and objects which can be dangerous, toxic or just bad for your dog to eat. Some of these things you might not even have thought of as being bad for your dog, since they are things that we humans can consume just fine.
Which things are dangerous for your dog?
- If you read children’s comic books or examine the common conception of what dogs should have, bones feature as the number one treat you should give to your dog. It might, however, come as a surprise to you that cooked bones are actually dangerous for your dog, as they can splinter in your dog’s digestive tract.
- Pantyhose, socks or many types of cloth, i.e. material that stretches can block your dog’s small intestine and cause a serious condition that needs surgery.
Which things are poisonous or toxic for dogs?
There are a number of dangerous substances, which you must never feed your dog as they are toxic or poisonous to her.
- Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which is toxic
- Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs and can lead to limb paralysis or inability to stand. Nuts in general are not good for your dog.
- Xylitol, which is a birch sugar based sweetener is poisonous to dogs.
- Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause acute kidney failure.
- Nutmeg is a neurotoxin for dogs, since it contains a substance called myristicin
Which things are not good for your dog?
There are a number of things, which are not necessarily dangerous for dogs, but are not good for them either.
- A substance called persin in Avocado can cause diarrhea.
- Hops are toxic to some dogs, so beware giving them beer, which contains hops and of course ethanol in alcohol is not good for them either.
- Onions and garlic cause anemia in dogs over time, which may even be lethal in large quantities.
In this section, we’ve looked at things that dogs should not eat ranging between dangerous, poisonous, toxic or bad. In the next section, you can learn about where to buy quality dog food online in the UK and how to get it delivered to your door free-of-charge.
You May Also Like
In the previous section, we started our journey into dog nutrition and …
In the previous section, you found out about things that dogs should …
I have to admit that confusion is a good term for describing my …